Philadelphia Student and Visitor Visa Attorney

Two popular categories of non-immigrant visas are Student Visas and Visitor Visas.  The Law Office of Tejal Mehta provides assistance and helpful guidance with applying for these two visas at the U.S. consulate of your home country.

Student Visa

You must obtain a student visa if you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States.  The two visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States are the F and M visas.

You can qualify under the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors (SEVIS) Program
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must have English proficiency or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up

F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 Academic Student visa allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program.

You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that concludes in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

F-1 visas allow you to stay for the full duration of your studies.

M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 Vocational Student visa category applies to students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.  They include vocational and technical schools, as well as community and junior colleges.

M-1 visas may only give you one year or less in the U.S.

Visitor Visa

A visitor visa is a nonimmigrant visa and is used to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2).

B-1 Business Visitor Visa

A B-1 business visitor visa is the appropriate visa if the purpose of the planned travel is business related, for example, to consult with business associates, attend a scientific, educational, professional or business conference, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract.

B-2 Tourist Visa

A B-2 visitor visa is the appropriate visa if the purpose of the planned travel is recreational, including tourism, visiting friends or relatives, or rest.  Travel related to medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, or participation by amateurs who will receive no remuneration in musical, sports and similar events or contests is also covered by the B-2 visitor visa.

Contact the Law Office of Tejal Mehta if you would like assistance with applying for student or visitor visa.